In light of the current situation regarding the coronavirus please see below some answers to frequently asked questions. Our Ironstone family is incredibly important to us at this time and we are grateful for your continued support. We will continue to keep you updated via email, this web page and our Facebook page as the situation develops. Thank you for your support.
Q: If I have a cough or a high temperature but I feel fine can I still come to class?
A: No, if you have a cough and / or a high temperature or are exhibiting any symptoms or feeling unwell for your safety and the health and safety of everyone please do not attend class.
Q: What extra precautions are you taking to prevent the virus?
A: At Ironstone we have taken the decision to revise our timetable to offer less classes. We have also reduced class sizes to 8 to ensure we are following government guidelines, implemented additional cleaning practices, provided additional hand sanitiser, mat cleaner and stressed the importance of good hygiene amongst our users. We are reviewing the government advice daily and will constantly be reacting and adapting our approach.
Q: I have a pre-existing condition that makes me vulnerable, can I still come to class?
A: No. Based on government advice anyone with a pre-existing which puts them in ‘an at-risk group’ should be adhering to the social distancing guidance and should not be attending class.
Q: Can I pause my membership if I choose to self-isolate without symptoms or any contact with anyone infected?
A: Yes. We will pause memberships for 3 weeks and extend class packs for 3 weeks at which point we will review the government advice and the current situation. Once your 3 week pause is up it is your responsibility to advise whether you are clear of symptoms and fit and healthy to come back to classes.
Q: When will you be changing class sizes back to normal?
Currently reduced class sizes are planned until 6 April when we will review the situation. We will be continuously reviewing the situation based on government daily and will communicate any changes with members.
Q: When will you be closing/re opening?
A: We are not currently closing; however, we are taking on board government advice day by day and reacting accordingly. We will keep everyone updated as to our actions when decisions are made.
Q: If you do close will you pause memberships?
A: We are currently working out our approach should we be forced to close, it is highly likely we will be able to pause memberships but will update people as and when this situation arises.